UTMN Strategic Aim
A strategic objective of UTMN is to create a new-generation university through the reorganization of its human resources policy, its core assets (educational, research, innovative) and institutional environment, and by means of comprehensive upgrading of infrastructure..
The background for UTMN reorganization into the university of next generation is the following:
availability of world-class research teams for the set of disciplines;
- support for the programme from the Governor of the Tyumen Region and readiness to finance the implementation of its separate actions;
- availability of "strategic team”, aimed at deep reorganization of the university;
- support for the present programme from the Heads of several regions of Russia and leading Russian companies, interested in reorganization of the University and ready to participate in generating the required conditions (ref. the Letters of Support);
- wide range of directions for training at all educational levels, balanced set of science, liberal arts and engineering sections (comprehensive university): natural science – 16,53%, humanitarian – 57,39%, engineering – 26.08%;
- the university’s great fraction of income from extra-budgetary sources (69%);
- developed IT infrastructure.
In 2007–2008 the University implemented the innovative education programme “Generation of innovative educational complex for University of Tyumen to provide effective environmental management in conditions of intensive resources development within Western Siberia” (414 mln.RUB). In 2008 it participated in the target programme “Development of nanotech industry infrastructure in the Russian Federation" (126 mln.RUB). In 2010–2013 it won 4 national competitions of Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation:
1. for the development of innovative infrastructure of the university (114.3 mln. RUB);
2. for the development of hightech quality production (480 mln.RUB);
2.1. “Development of technology and mobile equipment system for oil and gas production waste handling” together with JSC Gaspromneft-Noyabrskneftegas (2010–2012);
2.2. "Development and serial production of measuring equipment to meter produced oil and gas within the fields at late life” together with OJSC HMS Neftemash (2013–2015).
3. Implementation of research project with the involvement of a leading scientist: during the project realization the laboratory of water quality, aquatic ecosystem stability and ecotoxicology was founded in UTMN and was headed by Tatiana Moiseenko, A. M. of the Academy of Sciences (Vernadsky Institute) (100 mln. RUB).
In 2015 the results of the open competition made it possible for the UTMN to form the Engineering center in the framework of which the project "Compound materials on the basis of tungsten and rare-earth elements” (100 mln. RUB) was implemented.
Consequently, the fraction of income from research and scientific developments for the last 4 years increased by 9.58% and contributed to the general income of the university.
To achieve the strategic objective, the university has selected seven challenging frontiers (research frontiers, centers of excellence) relevant to world research notification: 1) advanced production technologies, 2) photonics, 3) neurotechnologies, 4) environmental remediation, 5) socio-humanistic knowledge and technologies, 6) acarology, 7) software engineering.
In 2015 the Polytechnic School was founded within the UTMN as a testing site for the reorganization of educational activity (subject of education, introduction of modern educational technologies etc.). The staff of the School is trained on the basis of CDIO standards. That is world-known complex practice-oriented approach to engineering.
The UTMN considers its role as in overcoming the fragmentation of humanitarian knowledge and achieving the overall level of personal culture. The socio-humanistic module will move fr om the transfer of traditions to fostering of a person able to make a choice, meet transformations and be ready for the uncertainty. The University will provide competencies that will help students to reflect upon personal and other people’s behavior.