Laboratory for Sedimentology and Paleobiosphere Evolution
Head of Laboratory
Pavel V. Smirnov
CSc. (Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences)
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Lab.14, 23 Lenina St., Tyumen, Russia
Postal address: 6 Volodarskogo St., Tyumen, Russia 625003
Main Research Areas
- Our lab studies Mesozoic and Cenozoic geological events as a complex of interrelated lithological-geochemical, biotic, and the Earth's internal processes. We perform this analysis by focusing on the sedimentary archives of the West Siberian Platform and the adjacent Turgai Trough
- The relationship between sedimentation processes (their scale, mechanisms, etc.) and the global climatic transformations in the Mesozoic and the Cenozoic in northern and central Eurasia.
- Reconstructions of paleogeographic conditions based on the data obtained from biostratigraphic descriptions of geological profiles: presence of macro- and microfauna, stages of biotic communities’ development, migrations of biotic communities, parametrization of catastrophic biospheric events, transformations in regional paleoecosystems.
- Clarification of the geological-genetic picture of Western Siberia. Development of recommendations for the localization and the geological-economic assessment of non-metal mineral resources.
- Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) grant №19-35-60004_Perspektiva, USISR IP (Unified State Information System for Recording of Intellectual Properties) AAAA-A19-119082790025-2 (2019-2022): Sedimentology and geochemistry of marine siliceous formations of Western Siberia in the context of catastrophic thermal events of the Paleocene and Eocene. PI: P.V. Smirnov.
- RFBR grant №19-35-90004, USISR IP AAAA-A19-119083090042 -3 (2019-2021): Geochemical properties of water and bottom sediments of forest-steppe lakes in the south-west of Western Siberia as a key to understanding present-day functioning and development of reservoirs in the semiarid zone.
- Nonspecific prevention of transmissible diseases through the development of repellents and insectoacaricidal agents based on natural chemical compounds.
- Development of insecticides based on sedimentary siliceous rocks (diatomites and analogues) from Russian deposits (in collaboration with the Federal Budgetary Institution of Science ”FBIS” Scientific Research Disinfectology Institute “SRDI” of Rospotrebnadzor).
- State research assignment of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation (2020-2023): Fundamental patterns of environmental development in the south of Western Siberia and Turgai in the Cenozoic: sedimentology of strata, abiotic geological events, and the evolution of the paleobiosphere. PI: P.V. Smirnov.
- Research work sponsored by the "Mikhail Lomonosov" program, organized by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (2020): "Dynamics of the environmental change and the geochemistry of the Eocene sedimentary strata in the southwestern marginal sector of the ancient West Siberian Sea". PI: P.V. Smirnov.
- Technische Universität Clausthal, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany.
- National Research Tomsk State University, Tomsk, Russia.
- Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia.
- Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Institute of Soil Science and Agrochemistry of the Siberian Branch (SB) of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Novosibirsk, Russia.
- National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk, Russia.
- Geological Institute, RAS, Moscow, Russia.
- Institute of Petroleum Geology and Geophysics, SB RAS, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- Oertijdmuseum De Groene Port Boxtel, Boxtel, the Netherlands.
- Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Géosciences Environnement Toulouse, Toulouse, France.
- Graz University of Technology (TU Graz), Graz, Austria.
- Zavaritsky Institute of Geology and Geochemistry of the Ural Branch of RAS, Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- FBIS Scientific Research Institute of Disinfection, Rospotrebnadzor, Moscow, Russia.