Microhydrodynamic Technologies LaboratoryHead: Alexander A. Fedorets, Doctor of Technical Sciences,
Member of the Scientific Council of the International Centre for Heat and Mass Transfer
Scopus AuthorID: 6505879007
Google Scholar: CDerMqkAAAAJ
Contacts: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Aktaev N.E., PhD, Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
ORCID 0000-0002-9750-2183, ResearcherID A-4963-2014, Scopus AuthorID 35110893400, ResearchGate;
Bormashenko E.Yu., PhD, Senior Research Fellow
ORCID 0000-0003-1356-2486, Scopus AuthorID 57197741893, Google Scholar, ResearchGate;
Dombrovsky L.A., PhD, Technical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow
ORCID 0000-0002-6290-019X, Scopus AuthorID 6603682233, Google Scholar, ResearchGate;
Gabyshev D.N., PhD, Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Research Fellow
Scopus AuthorID 56653536600, Google Scholar, ResearchGate;
Medvedev D.N., Postgraduate Student
Scopus AuthorID 57008846000, ResearchGate;
Nosonovsky M.I., PhD, Senior Research Fellow
ORCID 0000-0003-0980-3670, ResearcherID B-2228-2012, Scopus AuthorID 8531950800, Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Mathematics Genealogy Project ID 183289;
Shcherbakov D.M., Junior Research Fellow.
• University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, USA;
• Ariel University, Ariel, Israel;
• University of Münster, Münster, Germany;
• Joint Institute for High Temperatures, RAS, Moscow, Russia;
• A.M. Prokhorov General Physics Institute, RAS, Moscow, Russia;
• S.S. Kutateladze Institute of Thermophysics, RAS, Novosibirsk, Russia;
• Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia;
• Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk, Russia.
The laboratory is focused on studying dissipative structures known as “Droplet clusters”. This new phenomenon was discovered by A.A. Fedorets in 2003. A droplet cluster is a two-dimensional aerosol with a number of unique characteristics. It is a monolayer of spherical microdroplets levitating in a gas medium over a locally-heated surface of water or other liquids. Strict spatial localization of the cluster provides qualitatively new opportunities for the development of precision methods for studying physical and chemical processes under experimental conditions that closely resemble the atmosphere. Technologies developed in this laboratory will make it possible to deepen our understanding of the chemical evolution of atmospheric pollution and the resulting global climate change. These technologies will also increase the efficiency of sprayed chemical and biological plant protection products. One of the primary objectives of the laboratory is to develop new methods for the abiogenic synthesis of complex organic molecules in a microdroplet reactor. Another goal of our lab is to learn more about the ability of microorganisms to live in atmospheric aerosols.
A dissipative “Droplet Cluster” structure: left — top view, right — side view.
Main publications over the past four years:
Fedorets A.A. Droplet cluster: review (2017)
1. Fedorets A.A., Dombrovsky L.A., Bormashenko E., Nosonovsky M. On relative contribution of electrostatic and aerodynamic effects to dynamics of a levitating droplet cluster // International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer — 2019. — V. 133. — P. 712–717. — DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.12.160
2. Bormashenko E., Frenkel M., Vilk A., Legchenkova I., Fedorets A.A., Aktaev N.E., Dombrovsky L.A. Characterization of Self-Assembled 2D Patterns with Voronoi Entropy // Entropy — 2018. — V. 20. — P. 956–968. — DOI: 10.3390/e20120956
3. Fedorets A.A., Aktaev N.E., Dombrovsky L.A. Suppression of the condensational growth of droplets of a levitating cluster using the modulation of the laser heating power // International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer — 2018. — V. 127 A. — P. 660–664. — DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.07.055
4. Aktaev N.E., Fedorets A.A., Bormashenko E., Nosonovsky M. Langevin Approach to Modeling of Small Levitating Ordered Droplet Clusters // Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters — 2018. — V. 9. — P. 3834–3838. — DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.8b01693
5. Fedorets A.A., Frenkel M., Bormashenko E., Nosonovsky M. Small Levitating Ordered Droplet Clusters: Stability, Symmetry, and Voronoi Entropy // Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters — 2017. — V. 8. — P. 5599–5602. — DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b02657
6. Fedorets A.A., Frenkel M., Shulzinger E., Dombrovsky L.A, Bormashenko E., Nosonovsky M. Self-assembled levitating clusters of water droplets: Pattern-formation and stability // Scientific Reports — 2017. — V. 7. — article no. 1888, 6 pp. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-02166-5
7. Fedorets A.A., Dombrovsky L.A., Ryumin P.I. Expanding the temperature range for generation of droplet clusters over the locally heated water surface // International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer — 2017. — V. 113. — P. 1054–1058. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.06.015
8. Mendeleyev V.Ya., Kachalov V.V., Kurilovich A.V., Dombrovsky L.A. Abnormally strong decrease in reflectance of molten copper due to possible generation of levitating sub-micron melt droplets // International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer — 2017. — V. 113. — P. 53–58. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.05.056
9. Fedorets A.A., Dombrovsky L.A. Generation of levitating droplet clusters above the locally heated water surface: A thermal analysis of modified installation // International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer – 2017. — V. 104. — P. 1268–1274. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.09.087
10. Barakhovskaia E.V., Marchuk I.V., Fedorets A.A. Thermocapillary deformation in a locally heated layer of silicone oil // Journal of Physics: Conference Series — 2016. — V. 754. — P. 032002. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/754/3/032002
11. C1 2580176 RU 7 G01F 13/00. Method of stabilizing size of microdroplets forming dissipative “Droplet Cluster” structure / Fedorets A.A. (Tyumen State University) — no. 2015110381/28; App. 23.03.2015 // Inventions. Useful models. — 2016. — Bul. no. 10. — 3 p. URL: freepatent.ru/images/img_patents/2/2580/2580176/patent-2580176.pdf
12. Cheverda V.V., Fedorets A.A., Marchuk I.V., Kabov O.A. Thermocapillary deformation of a water layer at local heating // Thermophysics and Aeromechanics — 2016. — V. 23, No. 2. — P. 231–236. DOI: 10.1134/S0869864316020098
13. Dombrovsky L.A., Fedorets A.A., Medvedev D.N. The use of infrared irradiation to stabilize levitating clusters of water droplets // Infrared Physics and Technology — 2016. — Vol. 75. — P. 124–132. DOI: 10.1016/j.infrared.2015.12.020
14. Fedorets A.A., Dombrovsky L.A., Medvedev D.N. Effect of infrared irradiation on the suppression of the condensation growth of water droplets in a levitating droplet cluster // JETP Letters — 2015. — V. 102. No. 7. — P. 452–454. DOI: 10.1134/S0021364015190042
15. Fedorets A.A., Marchuk I.V., Strizhak P.A., Kabov O.A. Capillary waves at microdroplet coalescence with a liquid layer // Thermophysics and Aeromechanics — 2015. — V. 22. No. 4. — P. 515–518. DOI: 10.1134/S0869864315040137
16. Fedorets A.A., Dombrovsky L.A., Smirnov A.M. The use of infrared self-emission measurements to retrieve surface temperature of levitating water droplets. // Infrared Physics and Technology — 2015. — V. 69. — P. 238–243. DOI: 10.1016/j.infrared.2015.02.005
• Youtube: Alexander Fedorets
• Wikipedia.org: Droplet Cluster
News about us:
• University of Tyumen, August 23, 2018 (automatic translation)
• University of Tyumen, July 24, 2018 (see also version with photos, tribunenewsline.com, indianewscalling.com)
• State TV and Radio Company “Region-Tyumen”, January 23, 2018 (automatic translation)
• RIA Novosti, December 23, 2017 (automatic translation)
• Khimiya i Zhizn – XXI Vek, no. 7, 2017 (automatic translation)
• Russian News Agency TASS, May 30, 2017 (automatic translation)
• RIA Novosti, May 26, 2017 (automatic translation)
• Tyumenskaya oblast‘ segodnja, April 19, 2017 (automatic translation)
• Russian News Agency TASS, November 9, 2016 (automatic translation)
• Znak.com, October 19, 2016 (automatic translation)
• University of Tyumen, October 19, 2016 (automatic translation)
• University of Tyumen, June 29, 2016 (automatic translation)
• University of Tyumen, April 15, 2015 (automatic translation)
• Experimental and theoretical study of microscale processes of heat and mass transfer in the dissipative structure “Droplet Cluster”, 2017–2019 (State task of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation No. 3.8191.2017/БЧ). Project manager A.A. Fedorets.
• Investigation of physicochemical processes in levitating water microdroplets based on 2D aerosol technology, 2018 (within the framework of the “Michail-Lomonosov-Programm” of the German Academic Exchange Service and the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, State task No. 3.12801.2018/12.2). Project manager D.N. Gabyshev.
• Experimental and theoretical study of the effect of an external electric field on the properties and motion of a two-dimensional plasma-like system — a droplet cluster, 2018–2020 (grant of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research No. 18-38-00232 mol_a). Project manager D.N. Gabyshev.
• Experimental and theoretical study on the observed microdroplets levitation and the conditions for the formation of stable droplet clusters over the heated surface of a liquid, 2015–2017 (grant of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research No. 15-08-00248\15). Project manager A.A. Fedorets.
Postgraduate and postdoctoral studies opportunities for 2018/2019
Specialty: 01.04.14 — Thermal physics and theoretical heating engineering (offered in Russian, automatic translation).
Project: Microhydrodynamic Technologies for Controlled 2D Aerosol Generation.
See more at the University of Tyumen Postdoctoral Fellowships.
625003, Russia, Tyumen, ul. Lenina 25, lab. 305,
tel.: +7 (3452) 59-74-00 #17162 (Head of Laboratory)
#17136 (other Staff)
e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org